HD7970GHZ "Primum Non Nocere"

10 yr Member
2,626 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Feb 11, 2019 at 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ididitmyway View Post
No doubt, the topic needs to be addressed urgently. It needed to be addressed properly many years ago, frankly. Because all the research that people like Ken Pope and others did still hasn't helped any survivor on the practical level and still hasn't enlightened the professional community. Why? Because the premise of their research was wrong. The research they were conducting aimed to detect the "bad apples" in order to prevent abuse. This goal comes from the erroneous premise that only "bad" professionals harm people. There was no notion in their research at any point that something was deeply wrong with the entire system of professional training. But that's a whole different conversation.

I understand that your case completely fits the kind of cases Pope and others were researching. But, they didn't suggest any ways for survivors to heal, they didn't recognize the harm that was done by unethical therapists as a special kind of trauma that required a special kind training for professionals to know how to address it, they didn't develop such training, they didn't even come up with the list of suggestions for therapists on how to work with people who were harmed by previous therapists. They didn't do any of that. Their research has benefited the professionals by informing which one of them can be at risk of committing a transgression thus helping them, as a community, to decrease the risk of liability much more than it benefited the clients who were harmed. I've read their works and, while I appreciate what they've done, I could tell that the well-being of clients was not the first thing on their mind. They were worried about how to protect the reputation of the profession more than they were worried about anything else.

That is why people like yourself are still suffering with no professional help available. Because no one gives a **** about you and me and many others who were harmed.

When we try to see subsequent therapists, they could be good and well-meaning people, they validate what happened to us, they hold the ex-T fully responsible, but they still don't know a damn thing about this type of abuse and they don't know how to work with it because no one has taught them, because their training doesn't include this type of trauma. And, frankly, how can any training include this information unless the entire profession summons the courage to address the systemic issues it has? But they don't want to do it because it's very scary. Just like no system wants to disrupt its status quo because many people in it feel quite comfortable with where they are.

So, to answer your question what do we do to heal? Nobody knows. Nobody cares. And so each one of us is struggling to pave our own path to healing. I can only share what has helped me on my path and everybody else can do the same if they choose to. At this time, it seems like this is the only thing we can do.

Well said! I agree with this. The therapeutic community is NOT equipped with the training to treat complex PTSD as a reaction to trauma within the therapeutic setting. They simply do not want to acknowledge the problem is out of control.

I am deeply deeply deeply disturbed by the growing evidence of this. You are absolutely correct in your assertions. It makes me sick to my stomach.

Thanks for writing this, it helps to know there are others to get it.

Thanks,
HD7970ghz

"don't put all your eggs - in one basket"
"promote pleasure - prevent pain"
"with change - comes loss"
HD7970GHZ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote