Grand Magnate

Member Since Jun 2012
1,429 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Feb 11, 2019 at 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octoberful View Post
here today, this is addressed in object relations (alsoself psychology). The autonomy doesn't exist when dependent on another person as that sort of means the person is enmeshed.

The way this is addressed in my therapy is working through the the transference and also therapist neutrality, which allows you to become separate through cognitive restructuring that results from establishing new self object patterns.
Thanks, that makes some sense.

Unfortunately, I probably enmeshed with the last T -- and the others -- as well. It feels like it was the safety mechanism I had developed with my family and culture of origin and which I never got to a T to help me out of it. And I couldn't tell when I was in the thick of it. Although over time I did begin to get inklings.

And the T's were unable to help because. . .I didn't luck out, or. . .because I tended to pick T's who enmeshed, too? It's rampant in my culture, and many T's are more conventional in temperament than I am. And I thought being able to get along with them was a sign of "health". Because I didn't know better. At any rate, they couldn't deal with working through the transference because of their own stuff?

So -- it's the chicken and egg. How could I have the autonomy and self-determination to go find another T when (aspects of) the self were so cut off and/or submerged? And dependent on the other to determine who I am, sort of?

I COULD NOT do that myself. Well, OK, so maybe the last T, or her consultation group, did see that -- and she terminated me.

Only, before that, I did lie on the sofa, after she shamed me for calling her a b***h, and logic said that was her error although emotion and relatedness disagreed, and habit would have me be the "bad guy" again, for the sake of the relationship and -- her approval?

I did decide that logic was the best path to take, so I guess that was a form of self-determination eventually, although the emotion and would-be relatedness have had a hard time going along with that.

That's been almost 3 years ago.

There's GOT to be a better way.
here today is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
SprinkL3