Magnate

Member Since Apr 2010
22 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Feb 11, 2019 at 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneTennison1 View Post
I love that your T picked up on how much therapy bleeds into your real life and is trying to look at that with you. It sounds sometimes like you could use a break from it and I hope you find it.
This resonated with me too. I think you have a good T and a very strong relationship with him. I think it can sometimes be difficult to navigate how much emergency we are putting into using therapy to help improve our real lives and when therapy is taking over our real lives. That’s something I struggled with when I was in therapy. When I felt like I wasn’t getting “enough” from my T, sometimes it was because something wasn’t going right in the therapy and sometimes it was because I was trying to use the relationship with T to fill something that was missing IRL. I never did manage to figure out how to get therapy to improve my RL, but I have seen others do it. For me, I always kind of “obsessed” over therapy to the point it became a greater source of emotion than my RL relationships and simply ending therapy was the right choice for me. For others though who have Ts with good boundaries (like yours), I think there are ways to focus on how therapy can help you make improvements IRL without getting so wrapped up in the T relationship that you lose days a time. I just remember so vividly how this used to happen with me, so it stands out. I wish there were more resources that helped clients with this. Like, what should a client DO when this kind of preoccupation is happening? Maybe your T has some helpful suggestions for you.
scorpiosis37 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
ArtleyWilkins, LonesomeTonight, SlumberKitty, susannahsays, unaluna