Threadtastic Postaholic

Member Since Dec 2018
192 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Feb 12, 2019 at 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redCanine3669 View Post
There are some who believe men belittle their own mental health issues or that professionals belittle men's mental health issues. I cant confirm this. but I do know that there are men with mental health issues. Even if it's a small community, it still exist and I'm thankful for it.
I am helping my daughter right now on her research paper. She chose the topic " Is the "boys dont cry"/ "man up" culture detrimental to the mental health of men?"
I have a BA in Eng Lit so she came to the right person. . I have been helping her find some solid articles to help her have diverse sources and I came upon a few articles that talk about how men should act like "P**sies" (pardon me, its relevant to this post, not how I talk) and how men should never be considered weak or "feminine" by having feelings. She wanted to take a stab at the toxic masculinity culture from the angle of men. Its all been very interesting. Once thing I was reading last night and it applies in particular to men of color is that the culture of "man up", "dont be a wimp" really influences when and if men seek mental health treatment. The ideals and norms of being "a man" can actually prevent men from being comfortable with getting in touch with their feelings and because of that they fear getting help. I wont get into the use of female slang to describe men being used by men to each other as a way to denigrate each other.

In particular due to blatant and subversive racisim, men of color are sometimes distrustful of the medical community because of a history of having their health and wellbeings not taken seriously or downplayed. So in many instances mental health treatment is even more likely to be avoided by men of color. I dont know if this topic is interesting to other men in this thread and I know I am a woman but I am really enjoying the topic with her. I can only hope it can be discussed without getting into the parts of male-centric cultures and female slang/disparity because that is a separate topic.

President of the no F's given society.
sarahsweets is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote