View Single Post
Anonymous57363

Default Feb 13, 2019 at 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monticello View Post
When my younger son was 4-5 months old, we were visiting my brother in San Francisco. At that time, people were very afraid of those who were HIV positive, they would practically cross the street to avoid them. We went out to breakfast with one of my brother's friends, who was HIV positive. I was digging for something in the diaper bag and handed the baby to this man. As first he looked astonished and then happy because I had trusted him with my child and did not shun him.

Wow! What a powerful story Monticello! A small action likely had a positive impact on that man for years to come. I have cared for HIV+ folks at work. It is so important that they have connection and support. I read that HIV- folks used to wear masks if they met a HIV+ patient in the hospital, fearing that they would become infected. Ironic given that the person posing the immediate risk is the HIV- person carrying opportunistic pathogens which can seriously affect the health of an HIV+ person.

Your story reminded me of an anecdote shared by someone living with HIV...a continuing ed course I recently completed. She mentioned how great she felt when her sister continued to split an order of fries with her...even sharing the ketchup. It had always been their habit when they went to lunch together. She assumed her sister wouldn't want to do that post-diagnosis.

Your story warmed my heart. Thank you for sharing!
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Monticello