View Single Post
Anonymous55879
Anonymous55879 has no updates. Edit

Default Feb 13, 2019 at 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaindewed View Post
My mom said I was overreacting when I said that my paychecks were higher then usual and that my state and federal taxes were messed up. She said I was fine and that I wouldn’t owe anything. Now there is all this talk on the news about people either owing money in taxes, or not getting as big a refund as they expected. I am freaking out right now. I am in one of the high tax states. But I didn’t make that much money since I only work part time. Of course my uncle who does my taxes is not responding to my calls. I’m really nervous about this.
Since you only work part time--I bet you don't owe. When you are single--no taxes on the first 12,000 you make then the rates are 10 or 12 percent on the money earned above $12,000 until you make over $38, 700. The people who are getting burned are the ones who itemized (had a lot of deductions--especially in high tax states because you can no longer itemize more than $10,000 a year in property/state income taxes--this will make it even harder to pay for shelter in California, NYC and Hawaii). If you made less than $20,000--it is not going to be bad for you. Ten percent of $8,000 equals an $800 tax bill. Using that knowledge, look at your last paystub for 2018 and see what your total earnings were and see if you paid 10 or 12 percent on all earnings over $12,000. Also look on your last paystub to see how much income tax has already been taken out.

Last edited by Anonymous55879; Feb 13, 2019 at 01:39 PM..
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote