Grand Magnate

Member Since Aug 2012
129 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Feb 14, 2019 at 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
This was very interesting and good article too! I wonder how much autonomy has to do with children that suffer emotional abuse or someone who is working through ptsd? Like maybe realizing that we are allowed to be different from our parents, that we do not have to please them OR that the trauma we experienced doesnt have to continue governing our choices?
I struggled with PTSD for decades, beginning when I was about 12, until a few years ago. One way I understood how autonomy was related to certain symptoms, especially that automatic triggering of flashbacks, memories, or just psychophysiological, was in identifying the source of my symptoms and then trying to stop that automatic triggering. For me, they often occurred in moments of parenting (especially when my child was young and needed holding and other physical care and was very cuddly, feeling physically "touched out") or in conflictual conversations with my spouse. Because as the PTSD "groove" in my neurology was triggering an emotional response, my reactive behavior that was dysfunctional would follow. So my responses were not the product of my "autonomy" (my choice or intention to say/do) but a reaction to the triggers to my past. Being able to interrupt this neurological groove and feel safe under emotional arousal, then eventually being able to tolerate the arousal more productively, I could speak and do from my heart and mind rather than my past. So for me autonomy and recovery from PTSD went together.
Anne2.0 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
SprinkL3

Thanks for this!
ArtleyWilkins, here today, SprinkL3