View Single Post
ArtleyWilkins
Magnate

Member Since Oct 2018
7 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Feb 14, 2019 at 09:05 AM

I had strong family support, but I had isolated myself when I was not doing well (I had previously not been so isolated so it was a change.) My therapist and I both had the goal that I'd get to that place where I felt like I could and would rejoin the human race again. It took a long time, but eventually I started, one step at a time.

I returned to church which for me was something I had stopped doing and I truly missed. Part of my not going back was the fear of having to explain my absence to people, so we had to work through that. It wasn't nearly as bad as I had blown it up to be in my head. I don't have a large group of friends; I never have. But I had always been involved in church and during my illness (and I do think of it as a long period of illness or mental unwellness) I deliberately isolated myself from church (nothing against the church; I just had no energy, so I didn't go. And weeks of missed church turned into months and years). When I did go back, that was a positive turning point for me. It added a consistent support group for me and activities that challenged me to commit to getting out and being a bit social. It felt better.

Later, my sister challenged me to audition for the chorus. That was a HUGE risk-taking adventure for me, and I was NOT a risk-taker. But something within me took that risk and I've been with the chorus now for six years. Another activity that gets me out, makes me commit to something larger than myself. Gets me to meet new people and I have made some very dear friends through that activity.

The need for therapy basically went away once I rejoined life in a meaningful way. I am glad I had a therapist who helped me find that part of myself again. It helped me get unstuck from my "comfortable" discomfort and move forward.
ArtleyWilkins is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
SlumberKitty

Thanks for this!
SlumberKitty