View Single Post
Anne2.0
Grand Magnate

Member Since Aug 2012
129 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Feb 14, 2019 at 09:14 AM

I think the difference is whether you agree to the goal of creating a larger social circle. It sounds like from your description, that having healthy people in your life is something you want. You're just not sure how to make that work, if I'm understanding correctly. I don't believe T's are generally interested in forcing goals upon clients who don't want them (but of course it could happen with a controlling or overbearing or simply misguided T who thinks they know best). I think it's a problem if this is not something you want to work on. If that's true, then you need to communicate that. "I understand you think that developing more support outside therapy would be positive for me, but I am not willing or don't feel I'm able to do this right now. I'd like to table the discussion and revisit it in a few months. What I do want to work on right now is _____."

For me, it was not so much that I needed physical bodies in my life, but that I cultivated the kind of open and honest relationships I wanted, and that I learn how to negotiate conflicts or disagreements in a healthy way, supporting my friends and family while staying true to myself. I have not found this to be easy. I think there's a lot that goes on in a relationship or even in a connection with somebody. Negotiating your way through that is a big and complex task.
Anne2.0 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote