View Single Post
Anne2.0
Grand Magnate

Member Since Aug 2012
129 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Feb 14, 2019 at 03:28 PM

I share Kit's perspective that it's great you found it helpful to share your sessions on here. I'm also glad that consulting with the other T was good for you.

I love Xynesthesia's question, if you feel like answering it. I run towards the side of irreverent when dealing with people in authority, and some who have tried to assert it over me when I was younger and less experienced in my field used to tell me I wasn't "deferential" enough. I approach medical people as those with "authority" in the knowledge sense-- I'm doing some physical therapy on my hand right now, and the young young therapist cracks me up and I'll follow her advice.

I don't really have a boss unless you consider the people I work with my bosses on gigs, which isn't really accurate. If I am in a courtroom the judge is an actual authority figure, in the sense that you have to do what he says. And he has the power to throw people in jail for defying him.

But even when I was doing my graduate thesis, I didn't relate to my grad advisor-- now a confidante and friend in my life-- as an authority. He was objectively wise about certain things and gave great feedback; technically he controlled whether or not I'd receive a degree but that didn't create a power imbalance. Maybe with my early history with abuse-of-power male authority figures, working with reasonable people and developing positive relationships was easy.

It is interesting to me where seeing someone as an authority figure comes from, and whether it's connected to your personal sense and zone of power. Not trying to pressure you to reply, just stating my interest in the subject area.
Anne2.0 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
LonesomeTonight