LonesomeTonight has no updates.

8 yr Member
74.8k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Feb 14, 2019 at 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xynesthesia View Post
I find this whole authority figure thing very interesting because it is so different from how I relate to people. I really like to get feedback from people I respect in many different areas but, for me, that does not put them in roles of authority, more just advisors. Same for a T that I would respect.

May I ask you about it, LT? Is seeing all these people (and groups) as authority something that you like and benefit from? If yes, what are the benefits? Or is it more something that just happens in your mind emotionally and can even get in the way?

Oh it's definitely not something I like or benefit from. I mean...maybe there are slight benefits at times. I think it's something that comes from my mom, maybe? I was thinking about it a bit on the way home from session today, and I feel at times, I ascribe someone "authority figure" status because I feel inferior to them in some way. This makes sense in the case of, say, a teacher/professor, because they do have greater knowledge about a subject than me. But in the case of a friend (or, I suppose, a coworker on a similar level to me), I don't think it's such a good dynamic. I forgot to include how T said it seems at times I'm...I forget what word he used--deferential maybe?--to certain people, like walking on eggshells, trying to please them, and he doesn't want that for me. Because then I can't be myself.
LonesomeTonight is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
SlumberKitty

Thanks for this!
Anne2.0