Legendary Wise Elder

Member Since Jan 2015
95k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Feb 14, 2019 at 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefullyLost1211 View Post
You are very welcome Jennifer. The tech thing is an important consideration. I'm quite old-school in that regard. I rarely watch TV (though I do enjoy watching films) and I don't use any social media other than PC.

The older I get, the more I believe (for myself anyway) that the simpler I make my life the happier I will be. Some of my happiest/most peaceful times were as simple as lighting some candles and watching the flames for a while or taking a long hot shower or going on a really steep hike!

The difficulty for modern humans (imo) is that Society's pressures and expectations are antithetical to mindfulness and gratitude. For example, I know some women who are hooked on plastic surgery and radically altering their physical appearance or fighting Father Time. Now each to their own, people must make their own choices in life and I respect differences. But sometimes I almost want to point out that the only reason all those procedures exist is for companies to make money...and they can only make that money if they convince as many women (or men) as possible that if you don't look a certain way you cannot be happy...first they convince a person that they are deficient and then they present their supposed solution which happens to cost a lot of money or even repeat business. Which is utter nonsense. I am often described as "pretty" or "beautiful" but I've had depression my whole life. Physical beauty and happiness are not linked in any way, in my opinion. I have known two women who anyone would describe as "drop-dead-gorgeous" and they were two of the most unhappy people I have ever met. Seriously. So when a person buys into the notion that physically looking a certain way will bring them peace or happiness I actually find that really sad.

Similarly, modern Society suggests that loneliness can be cured by social media when the research actually suggests that texting (instead of calling or visiting) and having 600 "friends" on Facebook is actually leading to more individualism, isolation, and you guessed it - loneliness!

Anyway, that's quite a tangent. Glad you are enjoying the 52 Lists and thank you for participating....makes me smile.
That tangent is relevant to a current issue in my life. You always have helpful things to say.
Sunflower123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote