8 yr Member
8,141 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Feb 15, 2019 at 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Possible trigger:

I was so devastated. Its terrible when no one believes you. I didnt tell my husband or even my mother! I have a history of abuse and I felt like a child all over again. Here's the thing: I have never told a single person about it. THIS is the very first time I have spoken of it. Thank you for this topic I hope I have the strength to let it go.....

Thank you so much for sharing you experiences here. I’m sorry that doctor acted unprofessionally.

I don’t have a lot of experience with lawyers but your meeting with the lawyer sounds like it might have been almost as traumatic as the initial abuse. My complaints went through civil and medical board cases. It was also reported to the police and the Deputy Attorney General considered filing criminal charges since three of us victims came forward- but he decided not to prosecute.

I went through all that and, yes, some authorities did read about what happened to me and knew my name, medical and mental health history but I don’t recall my name ever being published. I read the medical licensing board accusation, findings and decision and they only used my intitials. Maybe the laws are different where you live. Maybe it would be different if it went to trial but I was told most cases like this are settled long before they go to trial.

What I want you to know if your lawyer didn’t mention it is I learned that cases are won more by what you can prove vs. the truth of what happened.

It is terrible when no one believes you. Lawyers can be jerks, too. I had a male lawyer tell me in my own case, “Well, I hope at least you had good sex.” He was a freakin’ lawyer on *my* team and he had the nerve to say that to me! My lead lawyer was a woman and she was livid when I told her about it. She got off the phone right away and I assume she chewed him out.

I’m sorry you were treated that way and I ‘get’ that it’s difficult to tell people about it. First, it can be extremely embarrassing to talk about - to anyone- especially family. People may judge or try to shame you. People might even defend the doctor or therapist. We just can’t depend on how people will react to information like that. But we need and deserve to be believed. We deserve to be heard. Thank you for sharing your story.
precaryous is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
sarahsweets