View Single Post
Anonymous57363
Anonymous57363 has no updates. Edit

Default Feb 15, 2019 at 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeker33 View Post
Thank you so much, HopefullyLost! What you said definitely makes sense. I'll try these strategies. I'm also extremely scared of doctors and hospitals!!! :-(
I want to discuss this in my therapy when I start it again. Hopefully it will be soon.
I think mindfulness will be the best for me. My T tried using cbt on this thought but it only agitated me a lot and I felt misunderstood. I find mindfulness much more effective.
BTW I'm sure you're a wonderful health care provider. If I had a doctor like you, maybe I would even visit you sometimes, and not avoid checkups for 8 years, like I do now :-)
Aw, Seeker! Thank you for your very kind words! You just made my day...truly!

I don't mind sharing (since I think self-appreciation is important) that I have received a great deal of unsolicited positive feedback from my patients. It is one of the things I value about myself...my ability to make others feel safe and to bolster others when they are faltering or scared. Patients who were not willing to work with other providers are typically willing to chat with me. Even if I don't specialize in their area of need I can be a strong advocate, help them understand the system, and introduce them to a gentle colleague.

I think it's all about approach. I don't view patients as beneath me...I don't believe there should be a power differential. I must earn their trust and they can choose to team up with me to work on their goals or not. That said, I am not a MD so I couldn't help you with your check-ups anyway!

I admit that I avoid going to the doctor as much as possible. I realize how ironic that sounds Though I've worked with a lot of MD colleagues and most have been wonderful! When I meet one who isn't very easy to work with, I make it one of my goals to build a relationship with them...in almost all cases I can do it over time. Confidently appealing to their logic is usually a good strategy.

I'm waaaay more comfortable being the one holding the chart and taking the notes rather than the other way around...my control issue! I have it too!
They do say that healthcare professionals make the worst patients!!! I don't mind owning that, for me anyway, there is a lot of truth to that. For one thing, I ask a gazillion questions! Hahaha.

When we meet a new doc and it doesn't go well, that memory can stay with us for a long time because we are vulnerable in those moments. Though I also think it's valuable to remember the good ones. A pediatric MD saved my life in my teens....really turned things around for me when I was severely depressed!!!

Another, who was one of my colleagues until he retired, used to give me so much extra info and insight at work from his many years of practice...well I learned so much from him and he didn't have to do that...because I'm not a MD myself and my scope of practice is different. And you guessed it...all of the staff AND patients loved him...he had a beautiful combination of excellent clinical skills AND lovely bedside manner I will never forget him...was truly a joy to consult with him on cases.

Your instinct about CBT sounds right...I don't think it's going to get you where you want with those prison fears. Mindfulness seems best to me though as I said I'm no expert.

Take good care of yourself Seeker because....YOU DESERVE IT!
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
MickeyCheeky

Thanks for this!
MickeyCheeky, seeker33