Member Since Dec 2018
192 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Feb 15, 2019 at 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackocean View Post
ETA: this is in response to SarahSweets who I forgot to quote:

Do you understand PTSD? Do you have it? I don't want to assume but I feel like there is just a fundamental misunderstanding here.
Yes I HAVE ptsd. There is no one way of dealing with it. I didn't think I had to label myself as such in order to have an opinion that is worthy. I do not feel unsafe here. I see different opinions and experiences here and I do not necessarily agree- but I feel they are allowed to be voiced. In fact- if you feel like I need to prove I am ptsd-y enough to participate in this thread I, for the very first time EVER- shared about an assault by a doctor in one of the therapy/exploitation threads. I do not know what came over me but I felt like I could get it out into the open. I have been with my husband 25 years and not even HE knows about it. I have never brought it up. Not everyone with PTSD feels it the way you do. Not everyone is triggered the way you are. While I think there are more sensitive, less dismissive ways to say things here, I still choose to participate. If I was that triggered I wouldn't. I got into it with a specific member here who is very unstable and mean and it floored me. But then I realized its an internet forum and some are sicker than others. So I do not post in that person's threads and avoid all interaction with them. They definitely make me feel unsafe.

Quote:
Others' "failure to understand" is retraumatizing for me. Hence I do not want to put my stories or even my current issues with my therapist up for public debate on a forum. How can you not understand how people coldly, intellectually debating the issues "around" your personal trauma is not potentially damaging, if not always so?
I can see how it would hurt your feelings but I personally wouldnt call it damaging or give that much power to people on an internet forum.

Quote:
Some of the “hedging” replies here talking about being adults, consent, “capacity” to see abuse is happening and capacity to stop it (etc) agitated/aggravated my PTSD symptoms surrounding my adult sexual abuse, and my PTSD is new to me so I have not learned to properly control it. This is unsafe because triggers can compound and then I lose a day or two to panic attacks and re-experiencing if it is bad enough. Some time ago when I first started trauma therapy I was severely triggered into an episode and lost maybe 2 months of my life in a complete meltdown.
I do not share the opinion of what you mentioned above.
Quote:
I even said "unintentionally invalidate" to avoid saying someone was intentionally hurting someone. apparently that is not enough here. You must agree that words never invalidate, ever, because opinions are all just opinions. And debating the circumstances that led to someone's trauma and whether that trauma would happen to them or any random person--and whether that means that these relationships are okay for some--all this is triggering for some people who have been sexually exploited in imbalanced power relationships, and of course there will always be triggers in the sense that FLASHBACKS are brought on by sensory details no one can control, but there are also some things that are not hard to predict will be triggering of trauma disorders.

No i don't want to talk about my rapes here. Jesus christ this place is a mess.
No one said you have to talk about anything. I was just wondering why it felt unsafe.

President of the no F's given society.