SlumberKitty
Legendary Wise Elder

SlumberKitty is staying stable.

5 yr Member
117.7k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Feb 15, 2019 at 04:13 PM

This is something I've been thinking about. Since my last SH ended up with stitches, there hasn't been much to do with taking care of it except to put some Neosporin on it and a new bandage. I already have an appointment to get the stitches taken out on the 25th. But I realized, what I am missing this time, is the ritual of taking care of the wound.

This might be as important as the actual SH act. It's a misguided way of taking care of myself. The gauze, the tape, the athletic tape, the creams, the butterfly strips, etc. It's like I hurt myself, and then I help myself feel better.

I was thinking back to my childhood, when my depression started. Whenever I got hurt as a child my Mom sent me to the neighbors because she didn't deal with that stuff. So after it was bandaged up, I was on my own to comfort myself and take care of myself. If I was sick Mom took me to the doctors but then it was basically like I was on my own to get better, and to comfort myself. I missed out on someone comforting me, and tending to me, and helping me when I was sick or hurt as a child. I think that is why the ritual of taking care of the wound is important to me.

I'm missing out on that this time. So it feels like this SH was incomplete. Even though the wound is more severe than normal, there's not much I have to do to tend to it. It just has to get better on it's own.

So I'm trying to think of something nice I can do for myself this weekend, in a way of taking care of myself. I'm not sure what it is, but I feel like I need something to help me to take care of myself. I don't know if anyone else feels this way about taking care of SH wounds. I just wanted to share what I was thinking and if anyone has anything they'd like to share or comment on, feel free. HUGS to all, Kit

Hugs from:
Anonymous59908, Bill3, Fuzzybear, mote.of.soul, StripedTapir

Thanks for this!
Bill3