View Single Post
guilloche
Magnate

Member Since Jun 2014
2,704 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Feb 17, 2019 at 09:27 PM

Mountaindewed - I just did my taxes last night. I bet you'll be fine. You don't do anything special right - like no itemizing, no selling stocks, no deducting anything?

When I did mine, here's what I noticed - the standard deduction for a single person used to be about $6000, but now it's $12000. I didn't itemize this year (I have in the past), so that essentially means more of your income is not taxed.

(Sorry I can't remember, I think your income might have below $12000? If so, you shouldn't really owe anything and anything that was taken out of your paycheck for taxes should be returned).

Anyway, my refund went up from last year because of this.

I really think you'll be fine... but if you're still nervous, you could try doing your taxes with one of the online programs. They'll let you go all the way through the end and show you how much you owe, or how much you'll get back, without you having to pay (you only need to pay if you're going to file electronically through the program).

The ones that I've used have been fairly easy and walk you through everything.

I used "TaxHawk" this year. It looks like it's free for federal anyway, but you might want to just run through it to check your numbers, so you don't feel so stressed, then you can wait for your uncle (I think you said?) to file later if you want him to double check.

Here's the link... I used them last year too, so no complaints. (Other than being a customer, I'm not affiliated with them... and in the past I've used other programs, those would work fine too. I can't remember which ones I used though now, I ended up leaving them b/c the price went up.)

TaxHawk® Free Tax Software... Federal & State Return Preparation & E-file... Online Taxes
guilloche is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
healingme4me