View Single Post
Anonymous43949

Default Feb 18, 2019 at 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Fox Seaton View Post

The more I look around and try to find out the secret to people in my workplace surviving it seems like they have a strong family life. Sometimes I now wonder if that isn't the secret. They can be quite all day because when they go home they will have someone to truly listen to them. And they get it all out. But I don't have that... I thought, and it was this way when I was younger, I could have other people in work etc to listen, but I am not finding that. I am just finding users. I think, frankly, because I am single and they know it. So they feel i should be their dump ground and feel I am not worthy of anything going on with me.
First of all, work is a professional environment, so you can't really expect your co-workers to listen to your personal problems, unless you have developed a friendship that extends beyond workplace.

And you don't need to continue to listen to their personal problems either if you don't want to.

Now, as their behavior towards you, it sure sounds unfair that they dump all of their problems on you in a one-sided manner. Sometimes when you are single and have no kids, some people assume that you have "plenty of time" or a leeway to help them. But that's a wrong assumption. A single gal could have a lot on her plate too, like having to take care of her elderly, ill, or handicapped family member. The co-workers you mention do not seem to treat you with respect. I think you should protect yourself by keeping the relationship strictly professional with them.

And I hope that you will eventually have the opportunity to meet great people. In the mean time, if it is any consolation, you are being heard here on PC.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
AspiringAuthor