here today
Grand Magnate
here today has no updates.

10 yr Member
1,429 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Feb 18, 2019 at 07:10 AM

This may sound extremely strange here, but I wanted to try a different track for my situation and wondered if people in this forum might have some perspective.

I read something recently where somebody replaced “therapy” and “going to therapy” with “substance” in the DSM criteria for addiction and, according to that, I would qualify for therapy addiction. Makes some sense to me – I’ve been in and out of therapy for 55 years, almost continuously since my late husband was diagnosed with a terminal disease 22 years ago.

I’ve been “clean” for 2.5 years, replacing internet forums for therapy itself – kind of like methadone for drugs?

What I’m wondering is – after addiction, how do you build a life centered on something else? I think I lacked a sense of a core self, or something, going into therapy all those years ago. The last therapy experience was horrific, exposing some core hurt I expect, and in the last 2.5 years I may have gotten some stronger. But still not living life very well.

Does that ring true for anybody with addiction and recovery experience?

It’s very hard for me to seek out just calm but pleasant experiences – my habits and neural pathways don’t go that route much – but I’m thinking that may be one thing to do. Any other suggestions?
here today is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
HD7970GHZ, MickeyCheeky

Thanks for this!
MickeyCheeky