View Single Post
guilloche
Magnate

Member Since Jun 2014
2,704 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Feb 18, 2019 at 09:40 AM

Thanks everyone... I appreciate the support and feedback. I didn't sleep very well last night (no noise, but I was still holding on to the stress from this) and am just bleary and tired today.

My neighbor has otherwise been great. She got the device that stops them from barking and uses it at night, especially when she's traveling. She also gave me the number for the woman who walks her dogs when she's out of town, so if they're noisy at night, that woman can come over and calm them down.

So, it's not like she's being awful, and I'm afraid that she might be getting sick of me, since we don't really socialize, I only contact her about the dogs. (But I'm also an introvert and really don't want to hang out/socialize with my neighbors!)

I totally should have put in earplugs - I have some! I just forgot, in the midst of all that noise. I've been trying to do a new form of treatment lately (neurofeedback) and, unfortunately, it's increased my headaches a lot... like 8 in the last 12 days so I'm probably not at my best to start with.

Still... I can't imagine she'd be OK with a car alarm going off outside her front door for 45 minutes, even if it's the middle of the day. It's just a crazy amount of noise.

Any suggestions for recording? I've heard that the newer phones don't record background noises very well, because they're built to filter out noise and just focus on your voice?

KnitChick - Thanks, and I'm sorry that you've had to deal with other noisy neighbors. I really, really wish that condos/apartments were actually built better. I bet a lot could be done if they'd build them with noise reduction as a goal... because it seems like such a common problem.

It's so stressful, I don't understand why they don't take more steps to help people have quiet environments! And, thanks for the suggestions... I totally forgot about earplugs, and I have several pairs. I'll have to dig them up and make sure I leave them someplace where I can see them!

luvyrself - Thanks for the suggestions. I did tell her how long they barked, though I phrased it as checking that the device was still working. It's hard, b/c I think she feels a bit defensive... it was just one email, but I told her about both days. For Saturday, when they barked for 30 minutes then stopped when she got home, she basically said that she was only gone for 30 minutes (to run to the grocery store), and that's probably why they barked (because she left). It seems like the thought of her dogs barking for 30 minutes straight doesn't really sink in at all...

It's terrible, but I wish I could record them and follow her around the store playing the tape! Like, "OK, but do you see how stressful this is when you're trying to get something done and can't escape it?!?"

MickeyCheeky - Thank you for your really sweet response! I'm looking at the dog whistles online, but it's not clear if they'll work through the wall... or if they'll even be enough to stop the dogs (versus introducing a new noise that they may want to bark more at). I should have pulled out my earplugs, but totally forgot.

Really, I wish I could move into a detached house... but I live alone, and I'm nervous about being in a full house by myself.

The silly thing is, I actually love animals and always wanted a dog... but after this, I think I want to find a place that doesn't allow dogs!

[b]rechu[/u] - Oh wow... all the noise you've had to deal with sounds crazy! I'm so glad you guys are getting your own house... it's kind of nuts, isn't it?

I tried looking at noise ordinances last night, but didn't find anything useful... maybe will try again, although earplugs during the day may be enough. Luckily, it's usually not that often, it just happened to be both days this weekend. I think it feels worse because there's no way to know when they're going to stop or if/when she's coming home. After about 20 minutes, it starts to feel a little hopeless... and they're dogs, so it's not like they're going to understand anything. Like, I can't just bang on the wall, because that's likely to freak them out more.

Emily Fox Seaton - Thanks! Yeah, we have an HOA... I'll have to double check what the rules are for noise. For some reason, I'm thinking the rules are really more around not being loud at night, not sure that they have anything written in them about the day...

But, I'm also a little afraid that if I go to the HOA, I'm going to look unreasonable, since she's done some things already (the device at night, giving me the number of her dog walker).

I really wish I could just move... ughhhh.

Thanks everyone, thanks for listening and for the advice!
guilloche is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous50384