Wise Elder

Member Since Mar 2009
885 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Feb 18, 2019 at 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnester View Post
I do want to retest my therapist said its not neccesary. Im just curious about all the people diagnosed DDNOS before the change certaintly they didnt all retest so what happens to them?
treatment providers have their own ways of updating a persons mental disorders. they dont always have people get retested just because the APA has discontinued a diagnosis label.

instead of working with a "diagnosis" they work with "Symptoms and problems" and making treatment plan goals.

example when things changed over to the new system I had a couple NOS labeled disorders. those were removed from my file as in my treatment provider entered a notation stating "NA due to mental health system no longer has a disorder with NOS labeling" NA stands for no longer applies, which means from that moment on I was no longer diagnosed with the NOS disorders.

then we worked a treatment plan of goals where the therapist and I met, set goals and I had to accomplish those goals.

some of my mental disorders just "transferred" over to the new diagnosis names and others were removed and later when it was time for me to go through my annual testing process, I received my new diagnosis labels on the files.

like your treatment provider is trying to do with you, its not necessary for you to get a diagnosis,

being diagnosed with a mental disorder is a personal choice, you are the one choosing to be retested, no one is forcing you to do it or telling you, that you need to do it,

you can just continue working with your treatment provider based on what your problem areas are, setting goals and accomplishing those goals with out having mental disorder labels.

like I posted to you before, this is something where you will need to decide whether you want to have a diagnosis label or if you want to just accept how ever you are is how you are and work on your problems instead of having a diagnostic name.
amandalouise is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote