View Single Post
awakeanddreaming

awakeanddreaming has no updates.

15 yr Member
Default Feb 18, 2019 at 11:19 PM

I started going to therapy again a couple weeks ago to deal with some compassion fatigue and vicarious trauma; did not intend to get into my past. We started talking about me going back to university to do my masters (in counselling psychology) and all of a sudden I'm telling her about how the first time round doing my social work degree was a horrible time for me, and then tell her about how I used to cut myself.

I was not expecting our therapy session to go this way.

I generally don't have an issue with my past, I haven't cut in at least 12 years (recovery IS possible). But this bothered me. The whole disclosure.

She asked me if I still thought about cutting, and I do, all the time. I'm super confused about the whole thing. Caught between feeling judged, put in a box, and wishing she'd reacted more, instead of normalizing my feelings and telling me that others have had similar experiences.

Luckily I have two weeks between sessions to process, but wow, this whole thing came out of left field for me.

Anyone have experience disclosing self injury waaaaay down the road? Or disclosing at an unexpected time?

Hugs from:
Bill3, SlumberKitty, StripedTapir