View Single Post
Topiarysurvivor

Member Since Sep 2013
42 hugs
given
Default Feb 19, 2019 at 07:57 PM

I'd lived with therapist/lover/partner/abuser ( you get the idea) for a few years when she decided I was having trouble with depression again. She referred me to the therapist that she had sent many of her old clients to after she "retired". In retrospect, a large part of why she wanted me to see a therapist was because I hadn't gotten a formal divorce from the father of my children. She wanted me to be divorced, and was hoping there was some money involved. She prepped me on how to avoid disclosing who I was living with, even to the point of omitting pronouns. I was unbelievably good at the secret keeping - the new therapist told me later she didn't even suspect. I'm thinking now that exploitative therapist created a great scenario for me, because once I revealed the secret the new therapist felt betrayed as well. Watching her going through processing steps was very validating. This totally makes my experience with subsequent therapists very different than that of others here. I've seen two other therapists since because I've moved. Both times I disclosed a lot to potential therapists, watching for their reactions and listening for certain keywords like betrayal of trust, asking if I had reported etc. I also think there is an element of lucking into the right people.
Topiarysurvivor is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
missbella, precaryous