View Single Post
naturalemotion5

Member Since Jun 2018
18 hugs
given
Default Feb 19, 2019 at 11:35 PM

Since ive been having med problems lately this has been a big one, a lot of panic attacks to the point where I feel paralyzed.

I avoid triggers (like socializing with people that stress me out, exposing myself to dark things) and do some mindfulness stuff that distracts me - rain sounds and nature sounds, turning the fan on and feeling the air hit my face and hands, turning off lights and lighting only candles to avoid sensory overload, applying heat somehow (or holding ice cube, that works sometimes), repeating the word CALM over and over, either in my head or out loud if I'm alone. I remember a therapist a long time ago telling me that if you tell yourself things like, "I need to calm down," or "stop panicking," your mind is more likely to focus on words like "need," and "stop" as urgent commands and you'll get anxious about wanting to control the anxiety, which ironically causes your anxiety to worsen. Allowing yourself to feel the anxiety, recognizing it for what it is, then responding to it as gently as possible without shaming yourself works best, I think, easier said than done.
naturalemotion5 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote