amandalouise has no updates.

15 yr Member
884 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Feb 21, 2019 at 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnester View Post
Yesterday I was in therapy and my therapist was trying to teach me how to soothe my little parts. I began to feel very sleepy and tingly in my body. I was beginning to drift away like last time I dissociated and she is very good about noticing that and brings me back. We have discussed grounding in the past but the thing is you never know what comes up in therapy is going to make you dissociate so its not like you are like ok Im beginning to dissociate let me notice five things in the room or whatever. How do you deal with this?
sorry Dnester. my dissociation is nothing like feeling sleepy and tingly. in me this is normal falling asleep. Im not going to post all my dissociation symptoms because I dont want to activate your problems.

one thing you may not know about OSDD. its actually the easiest of the disorders to work with and heal from because the problems are less severe than the other dissociative disorders. (one of the criteria actually says the words "less than marked ... which means not that bad, mild problems hardly noticable, doesnt affect a persons life as badly as other dissociative disorders and easier to live with)

example when you feel yourself sleepy and tingly in therapy just tell your therapist you are feeling like that. since you know what you are feeling you can do the work to do the grounding. unlike other dissociative disorders if you dont know you are feeling something you cant do anything about it.

just talk with your treatment provider. at the moment that you are feeling sleepy and tingly tell her so. then one of two things is going to happen.. either the session will end for the day because you are not able to do the work or you and the therapist do the grounding work together while she is teaching you how to do it.

with OSDD the therapy process is all in your hands. you decide whether you want to continue to feel this way and choose not to do the grounding or choose to tell your treatment provider what you are feeling when you are having the problem in therapy and do the work needed to not feel this way.

with OSDD the hard part is recognizing when you are triggered (having your dissociation problems) the easy part is doing something about it.

when I am feeling numb, spaced out and disconnected (my dissociation symptoms) I eat something sweet or sour, I take a walk, I row my canoe on the lake. I listen to music, I play with my children, I pet my pets,

maybe you can think about all the different things that you enjoy doing and then when you feel sleepy and tingly you can find something grounding for you to do.
amandalouise is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Rive1976