koru_kiwi has awakened

10 yr Member
1,231 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Feb 22, 2019 at 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post

I think neurofeedback has a lot of potential but the lack of double-blind, placebo/control group studies and empirical evidence concerns me.
well, if it turns out that all the NFB i did was nothing more than an overpriced expensive placebo, then it was f'n worth it in my book it managed to work in ways where my talk therapy never ever could. just like everything, it may not work the same for everyone, but i definilty don't discredit how significant it was to my own healing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I do not doubt that it works for some people and if or how it works doesnt matter if clients feel it is beneficial but the cost factor and the fact that many of the patients that this is promoted to are economically disadvantaged I think should be scrutinized.

i too find i frustrating too that NFB is not widely available, and if it is available, it's quite expensive to do. although, for me, i live in a country where most therapy is considered a 'luxury' because there is no insurance cover for therapy and private therapy is paid fully out of pocket. so when it came to doing NFB, it was not that big of a deal to expect to pay similar prices per session as i was for my talk T. but in my case, i had the opportunity to purchase my own equipment from my practitioner to use at home and it made financial sense to do that instead of paying for his time in his office on top of all the travel costs (he was 90mins drive away) for a minimum of twice a week sessions. i have heard in the States that some insurance providers are starting to cover some of the cost for NFB, and i think that is a good start, but the difficult part is finding a trained practitioner and one willing to work with insurance.
koru_kiwi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote