HD7970GHZ "Primum Non Nocere"

10 yr Member
2,626 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Feb 22, 2019 at 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmina View Post
I started training as a psychiatric nurse myself (long ago) but got out because I realised too much of the psychiatric system is more focussed on control than care & treatment and too often I was coming across nurses who seemed to be more attracted to, or worn down by, that aspect. That doesn't mean all nurses are like that, there are some great nurses out there but I'm referring to the system as a whole which is a coercive system, not an enabling one. Different in medical care, there is much more compassion and empathy, but mental health is full of stigmatised attitudes and devaluing of people.
Hi Carmina,

Thank you for sharing your insights. It is extremely important and vital that you continue to do. Your professional perspective is paramount to changing the cultural and systemic problems in healthcare.

If you don't mind, can you share more about your experiences? Perhaps specific cases that you remember that led you to stop pursuing the career as Psych nurse?

I have to say, I know what you are saying is true; I have personally experienced it.

Thanks,
HD7970ghz

Thanks,
HD7970ghz

"don't put all your eggs - in one basket"
"promote pleasure - prevent pain"
"with change - comes loss"
HD7970GHZ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Travelinglady