Grand Poohbah

Member Since Sep 2013
2,626 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Feb 23, 2019 at 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post

What are the distinct differences between severe ptsd and complex ptsd? And why would it rid half the diagnosis's? I highly doubt that Pharm companies are banking on keeping complex ptsd from being recognized in order to make their money. There is plenty of money to be made in the mental illness industry.
You really believe that the power of the drug companies is somehow squashing c-ptsd to make money off of the above conditions??
Thanks for the reply, I just saw this post.

These are many theories that I have heard about the healthcare profession. The Pharmaceutical Companies play a MAJOR role in so many aspects of healthcare, including the Diagnostic Statistical Manual and financing of Research Studies. Research studies which (according to many) hold major conflicts of interest when it comes to findings and trying to control and influence the American Psychological Association into a puppet for making money. It is one big cyclical mess and that is a big rabbit hole to research. Once again, this is a topic of research and I highly recommend doing research about this on your own.

There are many professionals who wanted Complex PTSD to be included in the DSM 5, and are upset that it was not. Just look up, "Complex PTSD not in the DSM 5," on google and you will find all kinds of theories.

Look up the difference between Complex PTSD and PTSD. There is plenty of overlap but they are different diagnosis and more and more professionals who work on the front-lines are seeing a clear distinction.

Also, there is plenty of literature about the complexities and common misdiagnosis of Borderline Personality Disorder instead of Complex PTSD. Look at the symptomatology, they are very similar. Both have abandonment and attachment traits, anxiety and fear, self harm and suicidal ideation, both can have trauma backgrounds and or flashbacks / physiological responses to triggers and stressors, age regression for coping, both can have all or nothing / black and white thinking indicative of generalizations cause by traumatic experiences. All of this and more.

There is added confusion about the similarity between Complex PTSD and Borderline Personality Disorder and how that could interfere with common therapy modalities and the money making industries like Big Pharma.
From my understanding, (And I am NOT a professional) the central difference is that Complex PTSD is often regarded as being diagnosed after multiple and or repeated traumas, whereas traditional PTSD is often diagnosed as a result of a single traumatic event. Both would be diagnosed if symptoms remain some time after the trauma took place. Many believe that Borderline Personality Disorder is a trauma disorder, whereas old school thinkers are still influenced by negative stigma surrounding Borderline Personality Disorder and how it is a problem with the soul and personality of the sufferer. Some believe that Borderline should simply be replaced with Complex PTSD, but that would be a large scale change in the therapy community as it would change training, awareness, as well as the approach for therapy. These changes would require substantial time and effort and in some cases could lead to a loss of money...

LOADS of money would be lost if some of the diagnosis in the DSM were abolished in favor of simple trauma theory - as in, instead of treating someone for the SYMPTOMS of an addiction problem (or any illness for that matter), with medications and or extremely expensive and intensive programs, they would instead treat the underlying trauma that brings people to addictions in the first place. (This would rule out the need for extraneous treatments). The theory being that the majority of addictions stem from abuse and trauma / PTSD - and that making this change would rid of a lot of alternative treatments, which would decrease the amount of money for pharmaceuticals.

Of course, this isn't just for addictions, it is just an example.

Thanks,
HD7970ghz

"don't put all your eggs - in one basket"
"promote pleasure - prevent pain"
"with change - comes loss"

Last edited by HD7970GHZ; Feb 23, 2019 at 11:36 PM..
HD7970GHZ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
TishaBuv