View Single Post
Anonymous57363

Default Feb 26, 2019 at 01:11 AM

For anyone interested, it is as physiologically dangerous to suddenly withdraw from alcohol as it is to withdraw from heroin. So if you are ever feeling badly about giving a homeless person money out of concern that they'll purchase alcohol (many homeless folks are living with chemical dependence) you can actually tell yourself that you may have saved their life.

Similarly, not wanting to give money to someone addicted to drugs...chemical dependence is not something that evaporates due to being denied money. Folks become more and more desperate...driven to more and more dangerous acts in order to avoid withdrawal...this is not simply an emotional decision...there's a very powerful neurological mechanism involved which affects the entire body. It can cause dangerous sickness and warrants professional intervention but I know you folks already realize that homeless people are often not receiving medical care.

I have never experienced chemical dependence or withdrawal myself but I've listened to my patients describe it and it sounds horrifying. I would not wish that on anyone.

It's anyone's choice whether to give to the homeless or not. I just thought some folks may find it useful to know the biology when they are considering the implications of drugs and alcohol use. Peace to all.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
avlady

Thanks for this!
Quarter life