Member Since Jun 2012
1,429 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Feb 26, 2019 at 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saidso View Post
. . .
YET I hear you saying that I should PAY ATTENTION to where someone is on their journey, and I feel that you are correct in that. . .
Possible trigger:

. . .
I think I understand the dilemma you are describing and feel a similar tension myself. I came from a more "refined" background, where being nice was extremely important, where roughness and whatever roughness contributed to survival were discounted and frowned upon. I was taught to "be thoughtful" and to pay attention to the other person. And I learned to cut off part of myself as a result.

So, now, I appreciate frankness. Because of the "delayed-response" aspect of online conversations perhpas, PC has been helpful to me in learning to to hear feedback, thank the person (mentally if not actually), and then evaluate on my own terms. The other person's perspective and perception is that person's and I'm learning how to kinda tell that sometimes. Appreciate what's helpful, avoid what's not.

But not everybody is at that place. Some are too hurt, or something, and don't or can't handle even good-tempered roughnesses of life. Let alone the deal with harsh realities.

At some point, yes, it seems like it might be helpful for them to hear other perspectives. And to hear the realities of what art critics of the world might have to say about their artwork -- but within the general context of respect, as you mentioned. Seems like it could help the student figure out how to deal better, and in that sense would be very supportive.

But some of us just aren't there sometimes yet. (I include myself in "some" because I have been there, just hopefully not so much now.)

I was debating offering my view on DocJohn's reply but it looks like now you've gotten there yourself without my help!
here today is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
saidso

Thanks for this!
Open Eyes, saidso