View Single Post
piano97

Member Since Dec 2015
5 hugs
given
Default Feb 26, 2019 at 08:40 PM

Don't talk about your problems, or your perception thereof. Focus on functional recovery stuff. And get feedback as to what they are seeing, will help gain insight. A good T meets you where you are at, and helps you see where you are at. I don't think you can move forward without that.

I re-started about 5 months ago and has been very good for me. A couple sessions I was not stable and was essentially out of it, not really able to participate, but the more you go, the more they get to see where you are at. This is invaluable feedback.

I don't know anything about her other than she mentioned kids and spring break. I don't even know what she looks like to be honest, when she comes to get me out of waiting room I still am like 'oh, that's her'. This is ideal.

My previous T moved into admin position, and I was uncomfortable with starting with someone new. Big mistake and to my detriment. I went almost 2 years without one. Again, not good.

With that T, I was not ever well enough to benefit from it, and my insight was nill. With a capital N. She was good though, but I wasn't there yet. She was more of a support person, very caring and kind, and that was where I was at in that time. That can be OK too if that is where you are at.

Am thankful a friend that works at the office linked me to her, we are a good match and I know I would not be with the others. They are primarily 'family' and 'axis 2' (I use that term broadly) type counselors. That's not what I need.

She is fantastic and have made tremendous functional improvements with her help. Am hopeful will lead to psychosocial improvements, but I don't think those are possible with functional first so that is my focus right now.

It is a partnership. It should be time-limited I think. I did not really know what my goals were initially, it takes some time, but I do now. We do not have a timeline, yet.
I just know my insight and skills have improved significantly and am very thankful and grateful for her help.

The best manifestations I can report at this time are that I shower daily for about 2 months now, and have started cooking again. I have showered more and cooked more this calendar year than all of 2018. Maybe slight exageration but not by much. Those things did not happen immediately. THere are other things, but those have been the big two.

Again, they need to meet you where you are at, and you may not know where you are at. I did not. Once you do, problem solving skills can propel you forward. You likely have those already, but can't adequately access them (unintentionally).

We do not talk about problems, family, social, etc. (or very minimally I should say)

CBT for bipolar is not for that if the therapist is good. (imo). Again. functional recovery is the generalized goal. That will mean different things to different people. As will psychosocial recovery.

I think we often 'think' too much about the condition. It's not going away. Who cares? I think we are much better off finding ways to exist and live our best life in spite of symptoms etc. I'm crazy. My brain doesn't work like most people's. I don't care anymore about that. I do not feel 'less' than anymore.
I feel empowered, and embrace who I am, how my brain works. I can't have a different one, so why try to be 'normal'. It's not going to happen. I'm actually increasing fond of my brain, and to have a 'normal' one sounds pretty F'in boring.

I want as good of quality life as possible. A good T will help you guide your own way to that,

This is only my blunt non-filtered take on things, and I'm in a blunt, un-filtered type mood

I hope it might help along with other input from others.

Hang in there.

Last edited by piano97; Feb 26, 2019 at 09:32 PM..
piano97 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
*Beth*, clydeblack, MickeyCheeky

Thanks for this!
*Beth*, Calypso2632, clydeblack, MickeyCheeky