View Single Post
redCanine3669

Member Since Feb 2019
397 hugs
given
Default Feb 28, 2019 at 07:26 PM

I've been struggling with finding ways to communicate with others. I've been trying to find positive social experiences with my local community, to counter negative social experiences with my mom. This has been challenging because it requires an understanding of human beings, discrimination, and my schizophrenia.

I've had some idea earlier about hiring tutors, and communicating with those tutors, as a possible method of communication. It felt a bit random and expensive though, so I dismissed it. But now I feel there's a good reason to pursue that idea. Back when I was watching some videos about work; I was informed of different forms of work including employment, volunteering, and college study.

I was also told that work had many benefits including meeting new people. At first, I thought that was a strange benefit. But now I'm realizing that it could be a key for me to communicate with my local community.

tutoring is the least expensive association to college study, where I live. I can probably pay for an hour of tutoring per week, which isn't much. I can probably get tutors to proofread my old poetry or to teach me Spanish. In between, I guess I'll find small ways to communicate with them. the key isn't so much about communication as it's about having positive social experiences with them.

I'm still volunteering and trying to find employment. But I know that employment and volunteerism doesn't guarantee communication or a social environment and can result in more negative social experiences. Trying to be social at work could even cost a job, in certain situations. My mental illness makes socializing more difficult than normal.

I can communicate and have positive social experiences with a local therapist or counselor, but that's quite expensive. This might be where applying for Medicaid might help. The tutoring idea is a lot cheaper though, so I might try it first.

I've realized that I might have to pay to meet some needs, just like how people pay for food and shelter, especially if my mental illness impedes conventional economic ways of meeting those needs.
redCanine3669 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote