romantic rose
romantic rose has no updates.

5 yr Member
55 hugs
given
Default Mar 01, 2019 at 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resurgam View Post
I think it is more difficult to be a psych nurse..it seems you are expected to be kind, nice and "on " every shift all the time...for everyone, regardless of their diagnosis. some folks do need to be babysat, others not so much, some act out, others need their meds adjusted, but everyone wants the nurses to be "theirs" emotionally .. it must take a special kind of person to select this field..and don't forget when someone lands in a psych unit your perception of things may not be 100% accurate due to illness, lack of meds, etc. just saying (some nurses could be toast, but at times it could be something else)

I don't think 'acting out' is the right phrase, as if we accept we are unwell and have an illness how our symptoms present themselves is not a choice, it's not 'bad behaviour', certainly not any more than any 'bad behaviour' in the so called normal general population. Where I do agree is that when we are unwell our perception is sometimes confused, certainly mine was so am still not sure if my confidentiality was breached by staff or not, but I could 'hear' staff abusing me very clearly one way or another, when I was under section and seen as a danger to myself.

Nurses and all mh staff are just as subject to societal stigma as everyone else, and they can often interpret our actions as 'acting out', and 'bad behaviour'. I have heard some dreadful attitudes from nurses towards patients. Maybe they become jaded with the ins and out of their job, but I don't think the current system was built on an empathetic attitude towards those with mental illness, more that of contempt and fear. It is based on how much of a risk we are seen as to ourselves and others rather than how best to resolve our psychological trauma in order that we will be permanently helped and hopefully healed from it. The medical model of course is not based around cure, rather maintenance and management of symptoms, as cure would mean discontinuation of treatment (usually meds) and loss of profits to those who make money out of illness.
romantic rose is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
still_crazy, Travelinglady