Human

Member Since Apr 2014
1,262 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 01, 2019 at 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocJohn View Post
The guideline is there because we don't want people to speak for others, and we don't allow "goodbye" posts. And we, as a general policy, don't discuss administrative issues (such as why a member has chosen to leave) because it leads to second-guessing and to a potential invasion of privacy of members.

Your thread was seen as discussing a member who can't respond (to either explain or defend themselves, even if it was meant in a positive manner), and discussing an administrative action (the closing of an account). I will violate the latter guideline just this once and say she left of her own accord and was not in violation of any community guidelines when she asked for her account to be closed.

Sometimes people leave because they've gotten as much as they feel they can get from our community. Other times it's because of a disagreement with another member that they feel they can't work out. And still other times, it's because of a disagreement with our community guidelines or how we run our community.

In the end, we need to respect members' choices. Sometimes members have some time to think on things and come back with a different username. Sometimes they don't. We wish well for all members who've left us and we sincerely hope they find other support online that better fits their needs.
I think it's also important to note that sometimes people leave due to privacy issues and possible domestic violence or divorce and don't want their usernames further searchable. If we make posts using their names, it sort of defeats the purpose of them deleting their account. I know it's not a perfect deletion of the user name because it may exist in responses in some places, but it is more difficult to find. If I'm trying to get away from a stalker, I don't want you even positively talking about me after I've left.

I know the thought behind wanting to make the thread is thank them, but they have left for a reason.

What if I fall? Oh, my dear, but what if you fly?

Primary Dx: C-PTSD and Severe Chronic Treatment Resistant Major Depressive Disorder
Secondary Dx: Generalized Anxiety Disorder with mild Agoraphobia.

Meds I've tried: Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa, Effexor, Remeron, Elavil, Wellbutrin, Risperidone, Abilify, Prazosin, Paxil, Trazadone, Tramadol, Topomax, Xanax, Propranolol, Valium, Visteril, Vraylar, Selinor, Clonopin, Ambien

Treatments I've done: CBT, DBT, Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS), Talk therapy, psychotherapy, exercise, diet, sleeping more, sleeping less...
seesaw is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
amandalouise, DocJohn, healingme4me