View Single Post
Anonymous46341

Default Mar 02, 2019 at 04:16 PM

Hi Franz. I don't have schizoaffective disorder, so I have only had psychotic auditory hallucinations during full blown manias and my severest depressions. My psychosis was most often delusional, with just a handful of hallucinations, maybe 60% visual and 40% auditory. What I heard was mostly voices (sometimes single, sometimes a few) calling my name or actually answering thoughts I was having. A few were odd animal sounds like chicks peeping, lion roaring, or the like. My auditory hallucinations were less frightening than my visual and delusions, except the chicks peeping I thought were the devil (long story).

I have had a period of auditory hallucinations that may not have been psychosis. For about six months I experienced musical hallucinations. They were not pleasant, though. Especially when they increased in frequency. Unlike my psychotic hallucinations, I eventually knew the musical hallucinations were not real. In the beginning, it was original music, from classical to jazz to Indian Pow Wow music, and other types. Then it was more like a DJ on the radio talking, but I couldn't understand him. Sometimes other incomprehensible voices joined with muffled music or static in the background. Then later, I started to only hear the intro to a U2 song I knew. Just the music, no singing, and it would repeat and repeat. I grew terrorized by it. My psychiatrist sent me to a neurologist. He thought they were seizure activity, but the neurologist thought it was psychiatric-based. Anyway, I was put on a large dose of Tegretol XR (an anticonvulsant moodstabilizer) and that eventually stopped them.

The last time I was psychotic, I only had a delusion and visual hallucinations. That was in late May of last year.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote