Always in This Twilight

Member Since Feb 2015
74.9k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 03, 2019 at 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricManatee View Post
I think this is why I often don't understand your T. He seems to take everything at face value (or even need it explained to him) whereas most therapists I have seen are always looking for deeper hidden meanings. Sometimes it drives me crazy when my T does this, but sometimes it's astonishingly useful. I think your T's approach also makes it harder for him to meet your needs without you hitting him over the head with them. It seems like it could be a useful exercise in asking for what you need, or it could be frustrating that you always have to ask, especially if you don't know what you need.

It's kind of a double-edged sword. In some ways, it's helped me, in that I've gotten better as asking what I need of both T and other people in my life. Because I can't expect other people to read my mind either. So it's helped with my communication skills.

At the same time, I feel like he should know me well enough by now that the email had *some* meaning. Now, I did include it as a response to the earlier email thread. There's a chance that maybe he didn't see it, or noted that it wasn't urgent and he intended to get back to it later, then has had a busy weekend. Or maybe he doesn't want to encourage me to send random emails--but I also imagine he'd be direct about that, like tell me in session. But he's been so good at replying to emails in the past, even relatively minor ones.... Again, even if he'd just said, "Thanks, I'll try to listen when I have a chance," that really would have been sufficient. Even just "thanks." I wasn't expecting a reply with an analysis of the song. If he doesn't reply in any way before session, I'm not sure whether to even mention it. But obviously it's bothering me. But I also don't want to make it into some big thing. Sigh. Maybe just a brief mention? Or wait to see if he mentions it in session?

ETA: And ex-MC said at one point that he thought any email I sent him was basically looking for reassurance, no matter what the topic was. Which kind of annoyed me. Because yes, sometimes I was looking for reassurance, but not every time. So he may have read *too* much into things. I'd prefer some sort of happy medium, like, "Hm, LT sent me this email, I wonder what's going on there? I'll send some sort of acknowledgment, then we can discuss in session."
LonesomeTonight is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
ElectricManatee

Thanks for this!
ElectricManatee