View Single Post
Anonymous46341

Default Mar 04, 2019 at 09:37 AM

That's tough that you can't take antipsychotics or higher doses of Tegretol. I agree that using benzos for moodstabilization is far from ideal. I agree that talking to your psychiatrist about your Wellbutrin may be good. Otherwise, are there any other moodstabilizers you might consider? There are several. Ones I know are available in generic are lamotrigine (Lamictal), oxcarbazepine (Trileptal), gabapentin (Neurontin), divalproex sodium (Depakote), topiramate (Topamax), and Lithium. Some people have success on newer ones only available in brand. Have you tried any of these others? Trileptal is similar to Tegretol.

Someone may throw a virtual rotten tomato at me for writing this, but therapy can help provide tools/strategies to people with bipolar disorder on how to manage or de-escalate hypomania and maybe mania. I don't feel it's very effective, but can be helpful. I am serious.

I know many antipsychotics have bad points. I don't quite know what makes them totally off the table for you. Have you or your doc ever considered the use of a baby dose "prn", in other words "as needed"? I do take a therapeutic dose of Seroquel XR daily, but also have a supply of "prn" regular Seroquel prescribed for me. They are just 25 and 50 mg pills. Those mini doses can be very sedating for many people, but if I'm hypomanic or manic they aren't so much, but can help at curbing an episode a bit in some cases. Sometimes just one pill helps a little, but I'm permitted to take up to 100 to 150 mg on top of my meds. If I need prns for a few days or my episode worsens anyway, I'm to call my psychiatrist. I don't include these prn Seroquel in my signature, but they've prevented many likely additional hospitalizations.

Last edited by Anonymous46341; Mar 04, 2019 at 11:22 AM..
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote