View Single Post
Anonymous46341

Default Mar 04, 2019 at 10:47 AM

Has anyone else had issues with replacement addictions? In my case, I have very often been prone to self medication in various ways. As a teen, I was obsessed with ballet (the music, ballet world, and of course the physical aspect). I took 7 to 8 classes per week after school and practiced at home and/or listened to classical music much of the remainder of time. Then alcohol abuse slowly started. That was my worst self medicating behavior ending in detox and years of AA meetings. In lighter periods of alcohol abuse I also became obsessed with my job and would be considered a "workaholic". Even during a couple years in highschool and college I was like that, reading and researching all day when not in classes. Then that would ease.

After I stopped abusing alcohol, I had periods of abusing a benzo and then times I abused stimulants. Off and on I would have binge eating periods, though binge eating has not been an issue most of my life.

I take plenty of bipolar medications. I'm on my best cocktail yet. I have also had therapy for about 15 years, some more helpful than others. There have been times when I wasn't really "abusing" anything, but that never lasts that long-term. Some times when I'm seemingly not exhibiting addict behavior, I have mildly compulsive habits like clenching and grinding my teeth, touching my face, picking my face (more when I was younger), picking at my cuticles, and the like. I have other very mild compulsions, as well. I don't believe I have OCD, though if there's a spectrum, I may fall at the very mildest part.

I wonder if there is a link between all of these things (bipolar, addictive behavior, obsessive/compulsive behavior)?
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Anonymous43949, bizi, MickeyCheeky

Thanks for this!
bizi, MickeyCheeky