View Single Post
sarahsweets
Threadtastic Postaholic

Member Since Dec 2018
192 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 07, 2019 at 03:04 AM

I do not think it is wrong to 'debate' on a support forum in certain circumstances. Like, if someone asks for help because they are sad and depressed then that is not a debatable thing, they need help and support. But if someone asks for opinions on some things like: " are vaccines bad?" " "Is seroquel safe?" " Did I ignore my significant other" or "am I wrong?" I think answers to stuff like that can be at least be debatable.
Quote:
de·bate Dictionary result for debate
/dəˈbāt/Submit
noun
a formal discussion on a particular topic in a public meeting or legislative assembly, in which opposing arguments are put forward.
argue about (a subject), especially in a formal manner.
"the board debated his proposal"
In this context as long as people are not mean, rude or abusive I think it can be healthy. Arguing by hurting (" You are stupid for believing that and even dumber for doing that") is never ok on a support forum. It all depends on context of course.

I find spirited debates stimulating and good for my critical thinking skills provided they are in the right context and not hurting or going against an OP's stated wishes. I think a lot of people are very sensitive to what they perceive as criticism or being wrong. Having your viewpoint challenged doesn't make you wrong and isn't always meant to be personal. The most important thing is to say if your feelings were hurt and apologize if you are the one doing the hurting. I do not have an issue apologizing and admitting mistakes. Sometimes my sarcasm gets away from me or I am too blunt. Sometimes my knee jerk reaction or runnaway mouth gets in the way. Other times I forget to take others' experiences into account or just plain screw up. Admitting you screwed up helps maintain humility, and can help the person you hurt, hurt less.

President of the no F's given society.
sarahsweets is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote