seesaw
Human

seesaw grieving

8 yr Member
1,262 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 09, 2019 at 11:12 AM

ESAs are not allowed in public. They require documentation already for housing or airlines, the only two places they are allowed.

As a person with a service dog, someone's mild allergies do not take precedence over my disability, which requires a service dog. Businesses are required to accommodate both people with disabilities who have a service dog and people with allergies. The thing is, all people who own animals have pet dander on them all the time. So if your allergies are that bad, then you will have an allergic reaction just standing next to me. People with peanut allergies tell the airlines that they have an allergy; it's no different. So if you have a dog allergy, tell the airline when you book your flight, just like I am required to tell them I have a service dog when I book. Funny thing is, Astro is quiet as a mouse and lays at my feet and no one sees him, and no one has allergies the whole flight UNTIL we stand up to get off the plane and they see him and say "I didn't know there was a dog there! I'm allergic!" Except they just spent 4 hours on the flight with him and had no symptoms. Hmmm...

Service dogs do not require certification nor are they required to be vested. There are many, many reasons for this. It's not just arbitrary. Remember the law is to give equal access to the DISABLED. We can't change the law, thereby punishing the DISABLED and affecting their civil rights because of some fakers. However, many states are enacting laws to prosecute fakers, and that is a good thing. A LOT A LOT A LOT of thought has gone into how the ADA works. It is a CIVIL RIGHTS law. To require me to carry documents of my disability is a violation of my civil rights. If a normal person doesn't have to carry said documentation then a disabled person, to have EQUAL access, does not either. It's not like a handicap placard, which is a privilege and does not guarantee you access. If all the handicap spots are taken then you're out of luck. But I can enter a business with my service dog regardless if another service dog is there.

To have an ESA, the law requires that you have a mental health disability. That is the requirement. It is far too abused by people who are merely lonely or want to usurp housing requirements. A service dog is also only for a person with a disability. This is the law.

You are asking all these questions but have you read the ADA, the ACAA, or the FHA? The laws are actually pretty clear. The problem is with the laws not being upheld.

I don't want to get into a public conversation about this because it really upsets me to have people basically trying to violate my civil rights and equal access, but I would be happy to PM with you to answer your questions and explain why many of these things are the way they are, and why the ADA is written the way it is.

What if I fall? Oh, my dear, but what if you fly?

Primary Dx: C-PTSD and Severe Chronic Treatment Resistant Major Depressive Disorder
Secondary Dx: Generalized Anxiety Disorder with mild Agoraphobia.

Meds I've tried: Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa, Effexor, Remeron, Elavil, Wellbutrin, Risperidone, Abilify, Prazosin, Paxil, Trazadone, Tramadol, Topomax, Xanax, Propranolol, Valium, Visteril, Vraylar, Selinor, Clonopin, Ambien

Treatments I've done: CBT, DBT, Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS), Talk therapy, psychotherapy, exercise, diet, sleeping more, sleeping less...
seesaw is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
possum220