View Single Post
Anonymous55879
Anonymous55879 has no updates. Edit

Default Mar 10, 2019 at 07:13 AM

Sarahsweets,

I hear what you are saying and, yes, of course it is valid to use psych drugs to manage mental health conditions. Without them, some people could not manage.

It's a complicated topic because psych drugs can be powerful and imperfect.

I did not take any psych drugs until I was 48. I finally admitted to having suicidal thoughts and wanting to treat it in the most cost effective manner, I elected to use my insurance to go to a psychiatrist. He asked questions about my symptoms and history, prescribed Bupropion (Welbutrin) and Xanax saying "This will make you feel better." I did but it was just treating my symptoms. The drugs can only do so much. When we all became unemployed/lost our insurance (I was 51), I made the decision to stop going to the psychiatrist then one month after stopping the Bupropion, I made my one and only attempt that resulted in near death (20 days in the hospital then 5 days IP). I truly believe starting then going cold turkey was worse than not starting at all.

We all react to these drugs differently and have to weigh carefully the benefits vs disadvantages. I do think some people need or just benefit from them. Lately, I need to take mine because when I don't for a while, my blood pressure gets dangerously high (anxiety). I honestly can't figure out if my blood pressure issue is because I have gotten dependent (it is what my body has adjusted to) on the drugs or it is because of the very serious issues my family is dealing with. I am taking the drugs in order to stay calm while dealing with it all. I want to take them because I stay calmer under stress on my medications. I honestly wonder if I would need them as much if some of the things going on with my family weren't. So I see both sides of the issue.....
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
sarahsweets