Community Liaison

Member Since Apr 2013
4,168 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 10, 2019 at 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missbella View Post
I try to approach support as being a guest in someone else's backyard. That means it's not my place to "correct" perceptions to align with mine. Heck, I wasn't there. I see something the same way if I was.

I've often had to receive feedback in my creative work often whether I want it or not. To survive, I've had to learn to distinguish the sages from the impostors. In person, I usually can detect the ego jockeys from paces away. They often throw their heads backward like striking snakes, take a big inhale and hurl criticisms like ammunition. They're scornful and angry. It's not about me or my work; it's about them. The sincere people are my peers and partners. The destructive people want to be my superiors and paradoxically are not.

When giving other's feedback I talk about what I hear and often ask questions. I try not to "criticize," but to inspire thinking.

Maybe it's a little different in life at large. But I was taught the safest bet is to talk about my own approaches to what might be similar problems. That way I haven't jumped fences, so to speak, and the original poster can take or leave my experiences.

I experience prescription, instruction or worse, scolding comes from another person's vanity. I think those who freely dispense life lessons are the last people who should do it.
I like that approach

And...'ego jockeys' ..I like that expression very much. Experienced it elsewhere, yesterday to be exact. So I excused myself from the conversation [emoji14]

I am the type to ask questions, because frankly, so much can be perceived in so many different ways, that's it's better to ask.
healingme4me is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Fuzzybear, missbella, seesaw

Thanks for this!
missbella