View Single Post
WishfulThinker66
Magnate

Member Since Jun 2018
117 hugs
given
Default Mar 11, 2019 at 09:55 AM

Many years ago I volunteered to conduct IQ tests administered to young school children. For part of the testing the children were shown flash cards of pictures of things or actions for which they had to correctly identify. This really pained me as I had to mark a whole population of children with whom simply did not know the correct vocabulary or even describe the items in question. Some of these children wouldn't even have seen some of these items. There existed a number of minority communities in the small city including children who still lived in log cabins or other crude homes out in the country. Anyway, show them a picture of a stove and they had no idea what it was - but they would have recognised a pot-belly one. Show them a washer and dryer and some of these kids had no clue. On an on this went. many of them didn't even possess a phone. These children then did badly. And it pained me a great deal. A number of the other volunteers - and the teachers - made disparaging comments about how stupid and lesser intelligent these children of other cultures were. Racist test, racist people. No wonder people like that had the viewpoint non-whites were stupid. Such frustration and anger on my part. Completely unfair.
WishfulThinker66 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
sarahsweets