View Single Post
WastingAsparagus
Student of Life

Member Since Mar 2014
2,911 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 11, 2019 at 08:14 PM

Thanks for posting this! I have been off of medication before, and it's not pretty. There's a stigma attached to taking medicine for mental health issues. Yet my therapist has been reminding me as of late that it's pretty likely that nobody knows I have a mental illness aside from those who I have told directly. It's hard for me to realize because I think my mental illness defines me at times. But it's also true that anyone who meets me for the first time is not going to know that I have a mental illness somehow.

It's interesting though that some people don't frown upon taking something for high blood pressure, or any physical ailment, for that matter, yet some do look poorly upon taking mental health medications. I think there's some degree of misinformation involved that the public has about mental health medications combined with the stigma of mental health issues. From that, you get a lot of conflicting information. And that affected my feelings, more or less, until I learned how to cope with those thoughts that I should stop taking meds.
WastingAsparagus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote