View Single Post
saidso
Veteran Member

Member Since Oct 2018
165 hugs
given
Default Mar 12, 2019 at 03:30 AM

I'm in Europe so only know the term TESOL.
But... if I was you, I would ask myself whether I truly prefer teaching adults, university students, or schoolchildren. Which age group do you feel most compatible with?

And then I would look for options, ask around etc. For example, is there any way that your employer can help you out with an interest-free loan paying back over time through your salary.

I would also have a good look at what is the cheapest and what is the most beneficial/ satisfying etc training course combined with practical experience.

You sound very thorough in your approach to teaching, much more than me, so I think you will do well in whatever you choose.

I'm in the middle of making major financial long-term decisions and I have spreadsheets set up with all the financial details to remind myself that those consequences are very real. At the same time, I've learned = am in the process of struggling to learn => that the inner me needs comfortable things to hold onto or I'm going to become overstretched. I let my inner me set up some criteria that are not financially spreadsheet-able - such as "we like nature and trees".

Personally, I've been so focused on getting the loans paid off all my life - totally, unbelievably focused on that - and I've paid for training courses to benefit my career, one of which was crucial and several of which were not beneficial to me at all.

It is a tough balancing act for sure.

Would it be at all helpful to let your inner self set up some criteria, as well as all the practical considerations? For me, this keeps me anchored, helps people around me to be supportive and lets strangers know when they are pulling me off-track. In my case "I want a huge tree" might have to be compromised into "perhaps we can plant a small one" - but it makes working through the adult stuff a little easier.

oh god I am struggling today, help me to remember how to stay connected and human!

remember: the nut shell against human predators and my own fear!
saidso is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote