View Single Post
WishfulThinker66
Magnate

Member Since Jun 2018
117 hugs
given
Default Mar 12, 2019 at 09:18 AM

It is a rut I am sure we have all fallen into at some point. I have done so too and it was very difficult to shake myself from it. But I was able to. I have to make an everyday effort however not to fall back into it. It does take work.

A few comments on the other suggestions and some of my own:

Regarding sleep hygiene, yes try to limit your sleep to 8hrs only. But also make sure that your bedroom is for sleep only. It is critical to remove all electronics and devices from your bedroom - and this includes your phone. If you rely on your phone as an alarm clock invest in a real one instead. This is vital. This is the single most important thing you can do to provide quality sleep.

Still not sleeping well? Consider then a physical reason. A lot of us with mood disorders also have sleep apnea - especially if we are a little thick around the middle. It is amazing how a CPAP machine will allow us to sleep properly through the night.

Medications - it is worth talking to your prescribing doctor about how medications may affect your sleep. They may have suggestions for you regarding changing up the time of day to take them.

Find ways to de-isolate yourself. For me, it all started with a weekly Support Group. For months it was the only time I got out of the house other than to grocery shop. I got up some courage doing so and eventually found it easier to get out of my home. At first it was treating myself to coffee, but then it became visiting the library. Eventually, I was able to volunteer.

There are other ways to get out of the home that may even provide some joy. Would an art class or some sort of hobby be of interest to you?

Set aside some time each day to be kind to yourself. Read a book. Do some stretching. Or, if you can, practise some meditation (I use a "Muse" to accomplish this).

And my final thought is to stress the importance of self-care. Make sure you practise good hygiene each day. Ensure your home is tidy. Try to eat at least one square meal a day.
WishfulThinker66 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
HD7970GHZ, MickeyCheeky

Thanks for this!
HD7970GHZ, MickeyCheeky