View Single Post
WishfulThinker66
Magnate

WishfulThinker66 has no updates.

5 yr Member
117 hugs
given
Default Mar 12, 2019 at 09:33 AM

Accents have no bother to me. I do react - and differently according to the circumstances - however to poor English.

I have no issue with people for which English is not their first or primary language. I actually volunteer on occasion for programs pertaining to getting refugees' and immigrants' feet on the ground. Some of this involves coaching some basic English skills.

However, and yes I expect to be pounced and trounced upon on this point, I am quite bothered by poor English skills as displayed by people who ought to know better. If you have lived in an English speaking country all your life you really should know how to speak and write it. Take this very forum for example... I am floored yet again and again. I assume these people have had some education; even an elementary one ought to have instilled some basic skills. The thing is, if you at all pay attention to these things, it is not people for whom English is a second language that context, diction, and grammar poses a great problem. You can tell, yes, that it might be a struggle. A quick look at where they're from and you can see they are from a nation that speaks a different language. I have to commend them for doing as good a job as they are. The shock and frustration though stems from those who really should have their own language down pat. I wonder over and over how such people managed to reach high school. I am amazed everyday.
WishfulThinker66 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
eskielover