Grand Poohbah

Member Since Sep 2013
2,626 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 12, 2019 at 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TishaBuv View Post
The remedy to my toxic relationship is to end it. This means being alone. I have never done this before in my life. I am in my 50’s and not ok in so many areas; physically, emotionally (many reasons why perhaps?). I’m truly terrified.

I can’t even pinpoint what it is that terrifies me so.

The worst is I will not have the strength and resilience to survive (my own depression). But, I have shown that strength already while suffering through the hell I’ve been living. Hmmmm

Hi Tishabuv,

My heart goes out to you. It is so hard to break free from toxic relationships especially when we rely on them still. Ideally we can build alternative supports prior to breaking free - but that is not always possible.

I want you to know that I have had to break free from toxic relationships. While it seemed counterintuitive due to the amount of distress and loss, what made it possible was alternative supports who helped me in the transition. In the end -it was worth it for me. And in so doing, those toxic relationships that I could not run away from completely (family) improved as a result of time away.

I believe you know what is best for you. If you believe your health is at stake, ending the toxic relationship must happen eventually.

I hate asking this but are you familiar with dependent personaloty disorder? I have traits of it. It definitely played a role in keeping me sucked into toxic relationships. Is that something you relate to?

Thanks,
Hd7970ghz

"don't put all your eggs - in one basket"
"promote pleasure - prevent pain"
"with change - comes loss"
HD7970GHZ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
TishaBuv