View Single Post
Anonymous44076
Anonymous44076 has no updates. Edit

Default Mar 13, 2019 at 07:47 PM

I have not personally noticed more rudeness in my neck of the woods. But I did read that the numbers indicate that "hate crimes" have risen. Though those are obviously two different categories: rudeness and hate crimes.

With regard to rudeness, I make it a point to self-monitor...am I being a peaceful presence everywhere I go? Am I giving people the benefit of the doubt? My brother has something called a negative attribution bias. If we were walking down a busy street and he accidentally got bumped by someone in the crowd, he would immediately assume that someone was out to get him/shoved him on purpose. Whereas I would assume there was a lack of space and it got crowded and then move on with my day.

With regard to rudeness or negative traits in others, I try to train myself not to look for them, if that makes sense. If like my brother, I walked around with a large chip on my shoulder, I'd find all kinds of things to be upset about in others. If I look for goodness in others wherever I go, I am more likely to find it. When I don't find it, I step back from such a person and re-route. It's much much easier said than done but I try.

For example, there is an employee at my local store who irritates me. When I use the self-check (my preference) he hovers around and often gives me directions on how to use the device even though I already know how to do it. I was thinking about this the other day. I could interpret him as arrogant and checking up on me with the hovering or assuming I'm going to steal. Or I could assume that he is trying to be helpful in his own way and takes his job quite seriously. Who knows? I'm not in his mind.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
MuseumGhost, unaluna

Thanks for this!
MuseumGhost, NightRain2019