View Single Post
Amy3boys
Amy3boys Bipolar

5 yr Member
2 hugs
given
Default Mar 14, 2019 at 04:32 PM

I have depression w/ bipolar features; my doctor hasn't given me a 1 or 2 diagnosis. I've had depressive episodes and other symptoms like insomnia and racing thoughts. For years I was fine on antidepressants (and Klonopin for a sleep disorder) but about eight years ago I went through a severe, extremely anxious depression and my new doctor prescribed Zyprexa and Cymbalta. I got better pretty quickly but eventually wanted to switch meds b/c of weight gain. Anyways, fast forward to now and I'm taking Prozac, Geodon, Klonopin and Adderall for crushing fatigue that is a primary symptom of my depression. I've gained a lot of weight in the past year, partially from taking a low dose of Remeron for sleep for awhile, and my doctor tells me Geodon and Prozac don't cause weight gain...but I've been reading that they can. I have very high cholesterol and antipsychotics can increase cholesterol. I am just not comfortable with staying on antipsychotics for much longer b/c of all of the bad side effects. Does anyone have a suggestion for a mood stabilizing med that I can ask my doctor about that is not an antipsychotic and does not cause weight gain? My doctor thinks the Geodon helps my depression in combination with an antidepressant but I want to get off of it!
Amy3boys is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Blue_Bird, mountainstream, still_crazy